top of page

About Middleton Hall & Gardens

Middleton Hall & Gardens is a little-known historic site located on the North Warwickshire border, between Tamworth and Sutton Coldfield. The estate covers 42 acres which encompasses a historic manor house, an eighteenth-century Walled Garden and the oldest man-made lake in North Warwickshire. The Hall has a long history spanning over a millennium and the first written record of Middleton is in the Domesday Book of 1086. Our medieval stone building is the oldest domestic building in Warwickshire. The estate has been home to many interesting characters including a commander of the Battle of Hastings; a Tudor explorer and two extraordinary naturalists.

The Hall is run by an independent charitable trust that was founded in 1980. A lived-in family home up until 1966, the hall and its grounds were purchased by Amey Roadstone who used the estate primarily for gravel extraction. The company were refused permission to make the hall their headquarters, and subsequently the buildings fell in to a derelict state. In 1977, a group of ramblers from Tamworth Civic Society came across the Hall during a walk and were dismayed by its sorry state. They approached the Warwickshire branch of the Council for the Preservation of Rural England (CPRE), who in turn approached North Warwickshire Borough Council in an effort to use their powers to ensure that the owners maintained the listed building. North Warwickshire Borough Council conducted a survey and ascertained the buildings were beyond repair, which meant the owners did not have to maintain them, however, CPRE conducted their own survey which outlined buildings were not beyond repair.

 Undeterred, Middleton Hall Trust was founded in 1980. Amey Roadstone granted them a sum of £25,000 per year for ten years to be spent purely on materials. Middleton Hall was saved by an intrepid volunteer army and it would not be standing today without them. We are still heavily reliant on, and grateful to, our incredible volunteer army today.

Today, our site is open seasonally to the public as an historic house and gardens whilst our Courtyard, full of small independent shops and a fantastic coffee shop, is open all year round. Explore our history from 1066 all the way through to the 1980s and wander the Georgian Walled Garden and nature trail which is a registered Site of Special Scientific Interest. We host a variety of events including Plant Hunters’ Fairs, motor shows and heritage-themed days.

If you would like to keep up-to-date with our latest news and events, sign-up to our monthly e-newsletter.

IMG_0443.JPG

Our Team.

Our charity is run by our Board of Trustees and our staff team and is supported by our army of volunteers, without whom we wouldn't be able to open the Hall & Gardens to the public.

bottom of page