The Ironmaking Industry at Middleton Hall
- Debbie Jordan
- 6 days ago
- 3 min read
The manufacture of iron at Middleton Hall was begun by Sir Francis I Willoughby in about 1572. It went through three stages of development as Sir Francis experimented with the technology. The industrial production of iron at Middleton Hall continued throughout Sir Francis’ lifetime but ended shortly after his death due to unprofitability.

It is reputed that Sir Francis was inspired to begin his foray into ironmaking by the activities of William Paget, 1st Lord Paget. In 1554, Paget had purchased the wardship of Francis’ elder brother, Thomas. Paget is renowned for being one of the great industrial entrepreneurs of the 16th century, through his establishment of some of the earliest blast furnaces and forges in the Midlands. In about 1560, Paget built an ironworks on his estate at Cannock Chase, Staffordshire, and, within a few years, this endeavour expanded to include two blast furnaces and two forges on the Chase, another furnace at Teddesley Hay and a forge at Abbots Bromley. His furnaces were powered by great leather bellows driven by waterwheels.
Before undertaking his ironmaking endeavour, Sir Francis sent his servant, John Tyror, to investigate the industry in terms of both finances and raw materials. Tyror wrote his report to Sir Francis on 6th December 1571, advising against the endeavour. Nevertheless, soon afterwards Sir Francis constructed the first ironmaking facilities at Middleton Hall, which were a bloom hearth and forge. This ancient form of iron smelting furnace required two raw materials – charcoal and ironstone. Middleton had ample supply of charcoal due to its large quantities of timber. However, the biggest issue was that there was no immediate source of ironstone. As a result, the ironstone had to be imported from Staffordshire. Nevertheless, the bloomery was profitable.
In 1577, Sir Francis was approached by Nicholas Lycett who suggested that they undertake a joint venture to construct a water-powered hammer mill. It was written that Sir Francis then constructed two hammer mills on two of his Estates and one of these is thought to have been at Middleton. Hammer mills produced a greater quantity of iron than bloomeries but needed more resources. Nevertheless, the hammer mill was still profitable.
Finally, in about 1590, Sir Francis expanded his ironmaking at Middleton Hall further by the construction of a water-powered blast furnace. This new venture needed a much stronger force of water to power the waterwheel than the Hammer mill had required and that the Langley Brook could produce. As a result, Sir Francis dammed the Langley Brook and created Middleton Pool. The blast furnace was then constructed against the eastern side of the dam wall next to the new sluice exit and its remains are still visible today. By this stage, it was recorded that Sir Francis’ ironworking facilities at Middleton included: a blast furnace; a forge; two fineries; and a chafery.

Blast furnaces ultimately replaced bloomeries because they produced much greater quantities of iron as well as producing it more quickly and to a much better and more refined quality. However, to achieve this it needed even greater quantities of raw materials and also required limestone. In addition to the lack of ironstone, Middleton had no immediate source of limestone either. The limestone was then imported to Middleton from Derbyshire. The volume and cost of the import of the ironstone and limestone meant that the blast furnace was never profitable. This unprofitability is why, in about 1598, Sir Percival Willoughby ordered the cessation of the industry at Middleton.
Further Reading: W. H. Stevenson, Report on the Manuscripts of Lord Middleton, Historical Manuscripts Commission, 1911. pp.494-495.
Author - Debbie Jordan, Middleton Hall Volunteer.




Comments